Saturday 1 March 2014

Relief Reads 6 - The Hollow

The Hollow by Agatha Christie

Charity Shop: Marie Curie, Heaton/Byker Newcastle

Charity: Marie Curie is dedicated to the care of people with terminal illness in the UK. Their work includes providing nurses at home, hospice care, research and campaigning for patients. www.mariecurie.org.uk

Price: 99p

Book Blurb: A far from warm welcome greets Hercule Poirot as he arrives for lunch at Lucy Angkatell's country house. A man lies dying by the swimming pool, his blood dripping into the water and his wife stands over him, holding a revolver. // As Poirot investigates he begins to realize that beneath the respectable surface lies a tangle of family secrets and everyone becomes a suspect.

Expectation: A good old murder mystery

Reality: Classic Agatha Christie. A well-written gripping story, with, as always, a surprise conclusion that makes complete sense. I don't think I'd seen this on the TV, I thought it wouldn't be as gripping as TV's Poirot, but in fact I think I preferred it as a book.

Overall Rating
It was a struggle           2        3        4        5        6        7        8       9      Gripping page  
to make it                                                                                                        turner

I didn't have time to read it all in one sitting, but it was memorable enough that it didn't matter.

Twist Scale:
Knew the beginning,                                                                                 As twisty as the 
middle and end         2       3        4         5       6        7        8        9      bendy wendy road
from the first line 

It's an Agatha Christie, of course there's twists. The ending was a surprise too. I'd guessed one tiny bit of the solution which made me satisfy my detectiveness, but there was still the other 95% that was revealed at the end. About 5 pages before the end I couldn't work out how it was going to be concluded, then BAM crazy stuff happens, shocking events occur, all is explained and it's finished.

Tear-jerker Scale:
 As dry as a house       2        3       4         5         6         7       8        9     Cried an ocean
 throughout

It's an Agatha Christie, she's not known for her heart-breaking stories.

Moral of the Story: As with all Poirot stories; Don't live near Poirot, someone will die and he will find a way to pin the blame very convincingly on someone else you know.

***

Coming up: Tynedale by Jean Simpson, chosen for its obscurity.

I get to go to Bristol for a work thing next week, which means several long train journeys so might manage to finish the book for next weekend. Life in Newcastle is a bit boring at the moment. I went rock climbing which was quite exciting, but it's that stage where I've been here long enough for it not to all be new, but not long enough to know loads of people. However, with all my stuff having been brought up, I have been experimenting with new recipes, from my charity shop-sourced recipe book. This included Chicken Parmesan (for which I didn't have any parmesan.. but it was still very yummy) At some point I will turn my attention to handiwork; I'm currently seeing if wood glue is a suitable replacement for superglue (trial 1 failed, trial 2 is drying) and will attempt to rewire a plug, instructions a la You tube. If the fuse blows in the house, it's definitely nothing to do with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment